BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Compliments of Executive Chef, Joseph Rizza
2.5 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 ea large carrot, peeled and cut
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 ea garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 sprigs thyme
1 ea bay leaf
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss carrots and butternut squash in olive oil and roast in the oven until well browned, about 30 minutes. Once browned, set aside to cool.
2) Heat saucepan. Once hot, add butter until melted. Add onions and garlic then continue to cook until lightly golden brown.
3) Add roasted squash and roasted carrots then pour stock into the pot. Add thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes. Once soft, discard thyme and bay leaf.
4) Using a high powered blender, blend soup until completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Return soup to saucepan and thicken as necessary with additional stock. Keep in a warm place.
5) Meanwhile in a stand mixer, beat heavy cream with sour cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Continue until stiff.
6) Ladle soup into warm bowls. Spoon dollops of spiced cream on top.